Saturday, August 16, 2014

Calculus Projects on a Saturday morning

Hi guys! It's  gorgeous Saturday morning here in NY. I'm currently sitting at a local coffee shop with my fiance` doing some work before an afternoon BBQ later. 

For my post today, I wanted to share some projects I do with my AP Calculus class.

Project 1 - I don't have any pictures of finished product at hand (they are all sitting in a drawer in my classroom waiting to be hung up for next year) but the kids really have a fun time with this one. I usually hit related rates in October which is a perfect time to assign a Halloween related rates themed project! My requirements are:
- The question they come up with must be original and Halloween themed
- It must be completed on poster paper or computer paper - no lined paper
- They must use color and creativity - the more the better
- The solution must be carefully worked out and explained on the back

I receive some awesome projects and will hang the best ones on my bulletin board!

Project 2 - This is by far my favorite project (and most time consuming for the kids) that I assign all year. I created my own original calc book for dummies project (modeled off of the book). I break it up the following way - each chapter corresponds to a unit I taught. 
Chapter 1 - Limits and continuity
Cahpter 2 - Derivatives
Chapter 3 - Curve Sketching
Chapter 4 - Integration
Chapter 5 - BC only topics

Within each chapter, I have specific questions they must answer. They also must provide me examples of what I ask for. It's a very detailed project and great for review. Even though they moan and groan, they admit it forced them to look back at their notes and helped them review for the AP. I make it due in April so I can grade it and return it before the AP exam. I'm going to post the actual document  when I get home later. I'm using my ipad right now and don't have the doc in my dropbox. Feel free to assign this to your class! I love it and love seeing the kids creativity!

Talk soon! Lex

1 comment:

  1. Lex,

    This is a great start to your new school year. You are already looking at how to start your Interactive Notebook with your "chapters" broken down. You've got this!

    Jennifer Smith-Sloane
    4mulaFun

    ReplyDelete